The home is where the heart is — and where much of the U.S. population will be spending its time in the near future. While staying-in might not be the most appealing option, now is the perfect time to make your home as comfortable and welcoming as possible.
Not only will this benefit you financially, but it will also have a positive effect on your overall well being. With a small investment of time and effort, you can make your home a haven that you won’t want to leave. Here’s everything you need to know about making your home a haven.
Is Staying-In Beneficial?
Staying at home can be very beneficial. Our homes are versatile, as a place to rest, eat, exercise, and work — we can do almost everything we need to do without ever leaving the house. Here are some of the ways that staying at home can benefit you:
Less Eating Out
Dinner and drinks can get expensive and really eat into your monthly budget. Staying in and cooking at home can save you money in the long run. If you find yourself grocery shopping multiple times a week, you can save money and trips to the store by keeping your pantry and freezer stocked with essentials. Not to mention, buying in bulk is usually cheaper!
According to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average household spends $3,459 on food away from home, yearly. That represents a rise of 2.8% over the last year. That’s a lot of money!
Spending Quality Time With Loved Ones
Whether you invite your friends and family over for a dinner party or simply spend the night in with your significant other, staying home can make for more quality time with the people who matter.
If you’re someone who eats out on a regular basis or goes grocery shopping a few days a week, your wallet will thank you for staying in. Whether you offer to host a dinner party at your house or keep your pantry fully stocked with essentials, you’ll find that you’ll save money.
When you’re home, you can do things your way. You can relax and curl up with a good book or do your favorite home exercise. There’s no getting dressed up, making plans, or being surrounded by strangers to worry about. Treat yourself to a face mask and enjoy your alone time!
Additions to Your Home That Will Make You Want to Stay In
Before deciding on what to buy or shift around when improving your home set up, ask yourself the following:
- Do I have the essentials for my lifestyle?
- Do I have a comfortable place to sit & rest?
- Are my living spaces inviting?
Once you have the answer to these questions, you’ll have a foundation to build on. For example, if you are an avid exercise enthusiast, you may want to purchase some home gym equipment. However, everyone’s answers will be different.
If you’re set on making your home a haven, but don’t know where to start, we’ve got you covered. Here’s a list of additions that will make it much easier to stay-in:
- Outdoor Kitchen or Grill – Entertain friends or just enjoy a meal outdoors in the warmer months!
- In-Home Theater – Make your own popcorn, choose your favorite film, and have a movie night.
- Book Nook – Perfect for getting comfy and cozying up to a great book. Bonus points if it’s near a window!
- Craft Room – Start a new hobby or dedicate a relaxing space for your current hobby or craft.
- Switch Up the Decor – New decor can instantly change the look of a room, choose pieces that are inviting and fit your aesthetic.
- New Furniture – Sometimes your home will need a complete overhaul to make it a sanctuary. A new couch, bed, or side tables can make a big difference.
Making your home a haven isn’t easy, but it’s worth it! You’ll find yourself saving money and enjoying the personal benefits of the change. With a plan in mind and some time and effort, you can make your home a sanctuary that you’ll never want to leave.