It seems like a nearly insurmountable task. A whole home remodeling project can leave you exhausted, frustrated and penniless if the proper preparations are not made. One must choose from a variety of new paint colors, fixtures, fittings, accessories and furnishings and then ultimately apply these changes to every room in the house in a coherent and pleasing manner. Here are 5 tips for getting the most out of your whole home remodeling project.
- Have a vision: Starting out with just the desire to change your home’s décor is not enough. You should have a vision in mind as to the style or styles you wish to use. For this, you can get inspiration from a variety of sources such as friends’ homes, magazines, Pinterest posts, etc.
- Plan your budget carefully: Knowing how much money you can spend will help to avoid costs overruns that could end up hurting your overall home budget. Also, plan for incidental costs such as eating out while your kitchen is being redesigned, etc. Finally, remember that not all home innovations need to be expensive. Fashionable changes can be made using a little creativity.
- Do your research: Home remodeling requires a great deal of advance research. You will need to research remodeling companies should you choose to use one as well as kinds of materials you will use. Fortunately, there are many magazines and sites that make this easy. There are also many home remolding shows on cable TV that you can use a reference.
- Find good help: Assuming you have not decided to DIY your home remodeling project, hiring experienced remodeling experts is an important first step. You should hire remodelers who have experience, are members of the National Association of the Remodeling Industry (NARI), who have a good BBB record and who are willing to work within your budget.
- Insist on a detailed contract: If you have decided to use professionals, be sure to carefully go over the contract before the first nail is driven. Be sure that the contract lays out the right address, a start date, a completion date, and a detail of what is and is not going to be done.
The key to a successful home improvement project is proper planning. Sometimes professional help is needed; sometimes it is not. Whatever the case is, we have furnishings that meet the needs of all tastes from an Ozzio table to a Saarinen chair.