Just as architects work from a basic foundation in order to construct a home, interior designers adhere to certain principles in order to ensure that a project is completed to their clients’ satisfaction. In the case of interior design those principles include but are not limited to: color, texture, harmony, balance, scale and proportion. Be it in the creation of an Ozzio or Saarinen table, these are some of the foundations upon which the designers featured on this site were guided in the creation of their works.
- Color: It is an indisputable fact that color affects mood. In fact, volumes have been written by psychiatrists about exactly how color can brighten or darken moods. Additionally, colors can give a room an expansive and airy look, or they can intimate appearance depending on the size of the available space.
- Texture: One easy way to add texture to a room, or the appearance of texture, is with the use of wallpaper. Other ways to add texture to a design is through the use of tile, carpeting and other graphic elements. Texture adds visual attention to a given space.
- Harmony: Harmony as an interior design principle means that all the elements of a given space must fit together. Usually these elements have the same theme, aesthetic style or mood. Each piece contributes to the unity of the whole.
- Balance: Our brains naturally work in order to boil our environment down to recognizable patterns. In other words, we are as creatures of symmetry and balance.
- Scale and Proportion: These principles relate to the relative size and scale of various elements in a design. When considering scale one needs to take the following things into consideration ceiling height, pattern size, furniture size, fixtures and size of the available space.
In short, interior designers use many principles and objects to help design spaces that are pleasing and functional for clients. We have only touched on a few here. Two other principles include repetition and contrast. Interior designers study all of these principles so that they can excel in their field and meet their clients’ demands.